How to Seek Compensation for Your Burn Injury
After a catastrophic burn injury, you may feel hopeless and overwhelmed by the physical and emotional damages you sustained. At Kaufman Law, P.C., we’re committed to helping accident victims get the compensation they deserve. With more than 100 years of legal experience behind us, we understand the importance of securing a full recovery.
With an Atlanta personal injury lawyer
from Kaufman Law, P.C. on your side, you can have confidence your case is in good hands and focus on making a swift recovery from your accident. To learn more about your legal options with us, get in touch with a burn injury attorney from Kaufman Law, P.C. in Atlanta.
How Our Lawyers Approach Burn Injury Cases
The first step is determining if you have a legitimate case. In short, if someone else isliable
for your damages (caused your accident through negligent or careless actions), you can seek compensation through a personal injury claim or lawsuit.
The legal process for burn injury cases often looks like this:
- First, your lawyer will gather information and evidence relevant to the case, such as police reports, fire department reports, and pictures from the accident scene.
- Establish the cause of the accident. This could mean consultations with safety experts, electricians, and other professionals to determine how the accident happened and how it could have been prevented.
- Investigate medical information, records, and treatment.
- Consult medical professionals to estimate cost of future and ongoing medical care for your injuries, such as missed wages and rehabilitation.
Common Types of Burn Injuries and Accidents
Many types of accidents can lead to burn injuries. Some of the most frequent are traffic collisions, such as car accidents
, truck accidents
, and motorcycle accidents
. Industrial workplace accidents can also lead to serious burns, including chemical and electrical injuries. Although many burns are the result of fires, other forms include:
- Thermal burns, often caused by hot liquids / steam or contact with hot objects
- Radiation burns from defective medical devices or fluoroscopy overuse
- Vapor burns caused by dangerous chemicals, which can damage the eyes
- Burns from chemical contact, such as contact with solvents or acids
- Electrical burns, which can damage internal organs and deep tissue
The Burn Injury Recovery Process
When it comes to seeking compensation for your wrongful damages, your personal injury award may need to include not only your initial medical expenses and lost wages, but also ongoing care from your doctor or a burn injury treatment center. The recovery process for a severe burn is painful and extensive. Additionally, many victims of burns are prone to additional medical complications, such as:
- Serious infections
- Low blood volume / blood loss
- Blood clots
- Anxiety and depression
- Respiratory complications
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Scarring and disfigurement
First, Second, and Third Degree Burns
There are three types (degrees) of burn injuries: first, second, and third. In extreme cases, doctors may categorize a burn in the “fourth degree,” but this is uncommon; these injuries are usually categorized as “third degree” burns.
- First Degree Burns – These burns are not severe and can be treated at home, unless they cover a large portion of the victim’s body.
- Second Degree Burns – Second degree burns damage the first and second layers of skin, often leading to painful blisters.
- Third Degree Burns – Severe burn injuries can damage the muscle and bone beneath the skin and lead to permanent damage or death.
Kaufman Law, P.C. Will Review Your Burn Injury Case For Free
Finding the right Atlanta burn injury attorney is imperative after a serious burn accident. Our team is available 24/7 to take your call, so don’t hesitate to pick up the phone and request your free consultation today. Our trusted firm has helped clients like you in Atlanta for 40 years. Let us help you today. Simply call us at (404) 355-4000 or fill out our online form at your earliest convenience.