When it comes to slip and fall accidents
, thoughts of wet floors and slippery conditions come to mind. These accidents can cause severe injury, leading to long-term care and ongoing medical expenses, in addition to lost wages. Recently, an Atlanta personal injury attorney at Kaufman Law, P.C. found the following interesting facts about slip and fall accidents that may help to keep you safer:
- Approximately 5% of all individuals who fall fracture one or more bones as a result. Fractures are a serious consequence of a slip and fall injury and can require long-term rehabilitation and care.
- Falls on improperly installed, poorly maintained, and dirty floors contribute to more than 2 million injuries each year. Paying attention is not enough in these situations, maintenance and proper care is key.
- The likelihood of injury from a slip and fall accident increases exponentially as weight and Body Mass Index increases. Likewise, the elderly are also more likely to be involved in a slip and fall accident as they age.
- About 60% of compensable slip and fall cases are on the same level. For example, a person may slip on a wet floor and fall on that same surface. These accidents can result in temporary or permanent disability, costing approximately $250,000 – $300,000 per year.
- 85% of workers compensation claims arise from employees slipping on slick floors.
It is important to maintain walking surfaces such as aisles, doorways, walkways, ramps, stairs and ladders. It is also important to ensure proper attention while walking, especially on surfaces that are marked as slick. However, no matter how careful you are, slip and fall accidents can happen. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious injury, call on an experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyer at Kaufman Law. We have decades of experience obtaining compensation for individuals just like you.
Call us today to schedule your free case evaluation.