After an injury due to another’s negligence, you need an attorney with your best interests in mind. Kaufman Law, P.C. has built a reputation of successful cases for clients in Villa Rica and the Atlanta metropolitan area for more than 40 years. Allow us to put our experience and resources to work in your case. Contact our team today to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our attorneys. We will review the details of your situation and let you know what type of compensation your lawsuit could yield.
Villa Rica, GA is a town of more than 15,000 people situated on the Western edge of Georgia in Carroll and Douglas counties. The area is home to many historical sites and entertainment venues, and it’s vital for residents of the area to understand how to handle a personal injury claim. When workplace accidents, car accidents, construction site incidents, dog bites, or other dangerous circumstances result in injuries, victims need to know their legal options. The right Villa Rica, GA personal injury lawyer can help injured victims recover compensation for their damages through personal injury lawsuits.
Negligence in Personal Injury Law
Negligence is a central concept in personal injury law. The term describes one party’s failure to meet an acceptable duty of care for a given situation. A few examples of situations that can lead to personal injury lawsuits include:
- Car accidents. A driver who engages in reckless, dangerous, or careless behavior behind the wheel puts other drivers at risk, therefore breaking the duty of care to drive safely.
- Truck Accidents
- Workplace accidents. Employers must ensure safe work environments for employees and address reported safety issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Dog bites. Dog owners must ensure their pets cannot harm passersby or lawful visitors to their private property.
- Premises liability. Property owners must notify lawful visitors to their properties of known safety issues if the visitors are likely to encounter the hazard during their time on the property.
- Negligent supervision. Caregivers like daycare workers and teachers must supervise students or children in their care to prevent injuries.
- Wrongful death. A death that is a result of negligent actions of another person
This is not an exhaustive list, and any situation in which one person’s actions results in injuries and other damages to another person can lead to a personal injury lawsuit. After suffering such an injury, the victim should obtain a copy of his or her medical report from the attending physician. This report will outline the victim’s injuries, prognosis, and treatment plan, and will serve as valuable evidence in a subsequent personal injury claim.
The plaintiff’s attorney will need to prove the defendant was negligent and that his or her negligence directly resulted in the plaintiff’s injuries to succeed in the case. This typically involves gathering evidence from the scene of the incident in question, collecting statements from witnesses, and securing testimony from experts in relevant fields.
Damages and Compensation in Personal Injury Cases
The plaintiff in a personal injury claim must remember Georgia’s contributory negligence law. This type of negligence law allows plaintiffs to secure compensation for damages even if a plaintiff is partially at fault for his or her injuries. However, the plaintiff must have a lower fault percentage than the defendant, and he or she will lose that percentage of the settlement or case award to compensate his or her degree of fault. For example, if the courts find a plaintiff 10% at fault in a $50,000 lawsuit, he or she would lose 10% of the case award, resulting in $45,000 in damages.
Plaintiffs in personal injury claims can recover compensation for economic damages such as medical expenses, property damage, and lost income after an injury. They can also secure compensation for non-economic damages like pain and suffering, or loss of consortium and survivor benefits when negligence results in a fatality. The right Villa Rica, GA personal injury lawyer can make a tremendous difference in the outcome of any personal injury case