Burns are incredibly painful injuries that often leave scars and other long-lasting effects. Different types of burns produce different problems for victims, and it’s important to know what to expect after suffering a burn injury. When burn injuries happen in the Roswell, GA, area due to negligence, victims and their families can turn to the attorneys at Kaufman Law, P.C. to help with their legal concerns.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burns injuries happen from four possible sources: heat, electricity, radiation, and/or chemical interactions. Depending on the type of burn and its severity, a burn victim may face a host of possible complications. Physicians classify burns on a degree scale according to their severity:
- First-degree burns only affect the outermost layer of skin. Most first-degree burns are treatable with first aid kits or over-the-counter medications. However, if a first-degree burn affects a sensitive area of the body such as the face or genitals, or the burn covers more than 10% of the total area of the victim’s skin, it’s best to seek medical attention.
- Second-degree burns affect the outermost layer of skin and the thicker layer beneath it. Depending on how large the second-degree burn is, the resulting scarring could pose mobility problems.
- Third-degree burns destroy the entirety of the skin and affect the underlying tissues. These burns are medical emergencies and often appear charred and discolored.
- Fourth-degree burns obliterate the skin, exposing underlying bone or other bodily tissues. These are open wounds that can easily lead to infection without immediate treatment.
Different types of burns have different effects as well. For example, a thermal or heat burn from an open flame may be initially very painful but have few other symptoms. An electrical burn can cause nerve damage and heart problems. A chemical burn could send the victim into a state of toxic shock. Radiation burns can lead to the formation of cancer cells. With any type of burn, the speed of treatment after the injury plays a significant role in patient outcome.
After a burn injury, the victim may have difficulty moving the affected area of the body. Scarred skin loses its elasticity and cannot stretch as well as the rest of the body. When the healthy skin around the scar pulls on the scar tissue, this can be painful and uncomfortable as well as hinder the victim’s movement. For example, a severe burn that affects a victim’s elbow may leave him or her unable to move the affected arm as well as he or she could prior to the injury. With physical therapy and other treatments, some burn victims regain this lost function.
Burns also tend to leave scars. While the scars from minor burns may fade over time, severe burns often leave permanent scars; some burn victims may opt for cosmetic surgeries or other treatments to reduce the appearance of their scars. A burn injury can leave lasting psychological damage in addition to the physical pain of the experience.
Suing for a Burn Injury
If another person or entity caused a burn injury to you or a loved one, handle your medical concerns and then contact the Kaufman Law, P.C. firm for legal representation. We can meet with you at your home, office, or even at the hospital. if needed. One of our trial-tested attorneys will review the details of your burn injury claim and let you know what to expect from a lawsuit. Burn injury victims can often secure compensation for their medical expenses, pain and suffering, property damage, and lost wages from burn injuries caused by negligence.
Contact Kaufman Law, P.C. today to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys. We have over 40 years of experience successfully handling our clients’ civil claims in the Roswell, GA, area, so let us put our resources and experience to work for you.
Roswell Burn Injury Attorney
- Roswell Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Roswell Birth Injury Attorney
- Roswell Brain Injury Attorney
- Roswell Burn Injury Attorney
- Roswell Car Accident Attorney
- Roswell Construction Accident Lawyer
- Roswell Dog Bite Lawyer
- Roswell Lost Wages Lawyer
- Roswell Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
- Roswell Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Roswell Product Liability Attorney
- Roswell Slip & Fall Lawyer
- Roswell Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
- Roswell Truck Accident Lawyer
- Roswell Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
- Roswell Wrongful Death Lawyer