If you’re involved in an Uber accident in the Atlanta area, it’s important for you to consult an attorney to see if you deserve compensation from the responsible parties. The attorneys at Kaufman Law, P.C., have the experience needed to pursue a case against the responsible party or parties.
Like many major cities across the United States, ridesharing apps like Uber are a common way to navigate Atlanta, Georgia. Many residents and tourists use these services like taxis, taking them around the city for sightseeing, everyday appointments, and running errands. Unfortunately, Uber drivers are just as susceptible to negligent drivers as others who take to the highway.
Take These Steps After an Uber Accident
It is essential to be diligent in car accidents involving Uber, mostly because of the requirements for recovering damages. That’s why a person involved in an Uber accident should follow these four steps:
- Get medical help. A person injured in a motor collision needs to seek a professional medical evaluation, even if he or she believes the injuries are minor. Car accidents are often more severe than a person realizes, and whiplash and concussions can go unnoticed.
- Call the police. Georgia law requires you to report auto accidents with injuries to local or state police. If you are an Uber passenger, you have an interest in making sure the police come to the scene to make an official report of the incident, so you should call the authorities.
- Contact Uber. You can report the accident to Uber’s corporate headquarters through an accident form directly in the app. Be sure to document your initial claim and any responses or lack thereof.
- Contact an attorney. Uber is a major company backed by insurance and corporate attorneys. We advise anyone who has been in an Uber car accident in Atlanta contact an attorney with experience in this type of case; Kaufman Law, P.C., has that experience.
Recovering Money After an Uber Accident
People who sustain injuries in ridesharing accidents have the right to seek compensation under Georgia state regulations. This means victims may be able to recover money for:
- Emergency room or hospital bills
- Rehab treatment for the injury
- Related medications or other medical expenses
- Loss of income and diminished earning ability
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death
- Loss of the enjoyment of life
Getting Compensation After an Uber Accident
Recovery of the damages or financial losses in an Uber accident can be challenging, but it is possible. Uber drivers must carry $1 million or more in commercial insurance, meaning that compensation is available for accident victims in cases of injury or death.
An Uber accident insurance claim involves multiple parties, including Uber’s insurance company, the driver’s insurance company, passengers’ insurance companies, and the insurance company of any person who collided with the Uber vehicle.
Uber may try to get you to settle before going to court. Settlement money is an agreed upon amount for accident compensation after negotiations. Money may cover a person’s medical bills, lost wages, disability, and more. Settlement amounts, in most legal cases, tend to be lower than if a person goes through a successful trail.
Proving Fault in an Uber Accident
To prove negligence in an Uber accident, you must:
- Provide evidence that Uber and/or the driver had a legal duty to protect you.
- Explain how Uber and/or the driver breached the legal contract to protect passengers and other drivers from harm.
- Explain how Uber and/or the driver’s negligence caused the accident that led to your injury.
- Provide evidence of your injuries and losses, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
A you have an Uber accident in Atlanta, you should speak with the experienced attorneys at Kaufman Law, P.C. for a free consultation.
Tell Us About Your
Injury, We’re Here to
12 Beck St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318