A spinal cord injury can instantly transform a life, resulting in years of recovery and rehabilitation, lost wages, and even permanent loss of function of your extremities. A person who used to enjoy golfing at City Club Marietta or walking around Marietta Square may now no longer be able to enjoy these activities as they could before. If you are the victim of a spinal cord injury in Marietta, contact the lawyers at Kaufman Law, P.C. to receive the financial compensation you deserve.
Spinal Cord Injuries in Marietta
There are approximately 11,000 new cases of spinal cord injury in the U.S. each year, with 540 of those in Georgia hospitals, according to the Brain and Spinal Injury Trust Fund Corporation.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Car accidents. The most common cause of spinal injuries, car accidents account for 38% of all spinal injuries.
- Falls on construction sites from ladders or scaffolds represent a significant portion of the spinal injuries from falls.
- Acts of violence. More than 15% of spinal injuries are the result of deliberate acts of violence.
- Recreational activities. Most spinal injuries from sporting activities are from diving accidents.
Another cause of spinal injuries includes errors made during surgery to the neck or back. In many cases, proper medical care may have prevented these injuries.
Defending Your Rights
Georgia is a comparative fault state, which means if the courts find that you contributed to your accident, a judge may reduce your compensation by your percent of fault. Some insurance companies will attempt to prove that you contributed to the accident to take away from the compensation they must pay.
Another common way of avoiding paying compensation to victims of spinal injuries is to show that victims assumed the risk of the activity. This comes into play for activities such as diving or skiing, or any activity in which you may know there are inherent risks.
The attorneys of Kaufman Law, P.C. are experienced at handling spinal cord injuries in Marietta and throughout Cobb County. Your attorney will gather the evidence in your case, procure expert testimony, solicit depositions, and pour over medical reports and doctors’ notes.
Care for Spinal Cord Injuries
The medical expenses for a spinal cord injury for the first year with paraplegia are more than $500,000 and more than $1 million for quadriplegia. Medical expenses can be upwards of $185,000 per year for those suffering a spinal cord injury.
In addition, the injured person may be unable to return to his or her regular line of work and may miss months of wages during rehabilitation and medical treatments. Victims of spinal cord injuries also may require alterations to their homes and cars to perform basic tasks.
If you’ve suffered a spinal injury, you are not alone. The attorneys of Kaufman Law, P.C. are ready to go to work on your behalf today.
Marietta Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Marietta Bicycle Accident Attorney
- Marietta Birth Injury Attorney
- Marietta Brain Injury Attorney
- Marietta Burn Injury Attorney
- Marietta Car Accident Attorney
- Marietta Dog Bite Attorney
- Marietta Lost Wages Attorney
- Marietta Motorcycle Accident Attorney
- Marietta Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Marietta Product Liability Attorney
- Marietta Slip-and-Fall Accidents Attorney
- Marietta Spinal Cord Injury Attorney
- Marietta Truck Accident Attorney
- Marietta Workers’ Compensation Attorney
- Workers’ Compensation Benefits in Marietta
- Marietta Wrongful Death Attorney