How Rain Impacts Roads, Traffic, and Driving Ability
As Spring starts to arrive, it often brings an increase in the number of rainy days we see each month. Rain results in more than just a need for umbrellas and raincoats, however. Rain can also have a negative impact on the number of car accidents that occur each day. These rainstorms impact the condition of the roads, the flow of traffic, and a driver’s ability to operate his or her vehicle.
How Rain Increases the Risk of Car Accidents
The following is an overview of how the rain impacts the conditions of the road that you are traveling on:
- Rain impacts your ability to see in front and to the side of your vehicle.
- Rain impacts the amount of friction between your vehicle and the pavement.
- Rain can impact the amount of lane obstruction on the roadway.
- Ran can impact whether a lane becomes submerged under water.
The rain also has an impact on the flow of traffic on the roadway. When traffic is disrupted, the chance of a car accident increases. The effects of rain on traffic flow include the following:
- The capacity of the roadway to handle the number of vehicles utilizing it during the rainstorm.
- The speed of traffic.
- The amount of travel time delay that exists.
- The overall risk of an accident occurring.
In addition, rainy weather can impact a driver’s ability to operate his or her vehicle. Examples include:
- Vehicle Performance, such as traction on the roadway
- Driver Behavior, such as over or under reacting
- Traffic Signal Timing
- Speed Limit Control
- Driver Coordination
- Driver’s Ability to Take Evasive Measures
It is also important to note that the same limitations rain creates on the driving conditions, ability, and traffic flow affecting the driver of a motor vehicle will also impact emergency vehicles. This can significantly impact emergency vehicle response time in the event of an accident, increasing the chance of serious injury in the event of a crash. For safety tips for driving in the rain, click here.
If you have been injured in an auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact an Atlanta car accident lawyer at Kaufman Law, P.C. for helpful guidance and a FREE case review.
- Can You Sue for a Hit-and-Run in Georgia?
- Driver Distraction Is a Serious Threat
- Can You Sue for a Slip and Fall Accident in Georgia?
- Can You Sue for Pain and Suffering in Georgia?
- Understanding the Legal Process: What to Do If Another Driver Sues You for a Car Accident in Georgia
- The Clock is Ticking: Time Limits for Filing a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Georgia
- Can I Seek Legal Recourse for a Dog Bite Injury in Georgia?
- Loss of Earning Capacity is Not the Same as Loss of Income
- What To Do If Your Doctor Prescribes The Wrong Medication
- Kaufman Secures $975,035 Settlement for Client in Lyft Car Wreck Case