Ways to Reduce Drowsy Driving Truck Accidents in Atlanta
When the driver of a large truck is sleep deprived, the risks to other motorists are great. A driver that is tired may drift off and swerve into another lane on an Atlanta highway, colliding with another car at high speed. The driver of the car may face substantial injuries as a result of the force of the impact. Fortunately, there are some measures that can be taken to reduce the risks of truck accidents caused by drowsy driving.
Ways to Reduce Drowsy Driving Accidents
Reducing drowsy driving truck accidents requires a collaborative approach. Drivers, their employers, and government entities must all work together in order to reduce the risk of these crashes occurring. Examples of techniques that can be used to limit truck accidents caused by tiredness include the following:
- Limiting the number of hours that a truck driver is permitted to drive before being required to take a break.
- Penalizing trucking companies that do not enforce required rest periods.
- Offering driver education training on the dangers of drowsy driving.
- Install shoulder rumble strips on high-speed roads as well as rural roads.
- Drivers should get sufficient sleep every night, plan their travel routes ahead of time to allow for breaks, and avoid alcohol or drugs before driving. Truck drivers may also want to consume caffeine prior to driving.
- If narcolepsy or sleep apnea is contributing to the drowsy driving, obtain treatment from a specialist.
- Truck drivers should get regular exercise to help with fatigue.
- Truck drivers can consider using bright light treatments, white noise, light darkening shades, or other methods to improve the quality of their sleep.
The issue of drowsy driving by operators of semi-trucks is ongoing. If you are interested in staying up to date on the latest developments in this area, we encourage you to find and follow us on Twitter today!
Injured? Schedule a free consultation with an Atlanta truck accident lawyer at Kaufman Law, P.C.
- The Super Lawyers of Kaufman Law, P.C.
- Georgia Workplace Injury Laws: What is Considered Catastrophic?
- (no title)
- How You Can Avoid a Dog Bite This Holiday Season
- Dressing to Stay Warm and Sade on Your Motorcycle This Winter
- What Is a Class Action Lawsuit?
- What Happens When You Get Your First Speeding Ticket?
- How Do Points on Your License Work in Georgia?
- What Is a No Zone in Driving?
- Treatment After a Dog Bite Injury